St Mary's is a Special Character Catholic School.
The curriculum is underpinned by and consistent with what is outlined in The New Zealand Curriculum (2007) and the official Religious Education curriculum for Primary Catholic
Schools in Aotearoa New Zealand. St Mary’s staff and students are expected to live the gospel values as:
"With Christ As Our Centre We Strive For Excellence"
The School was opened at the present site in 1924 with the name of St Michael's. St Michael's was the only parish in Rotorua at the time. St Mary's Church in Seddon Street was opened in 1954 and our school took on the name St Mary's when the present St Michael's School opened in 1958. The Sisters of St Joseph staffed the school for many years and in 1982 St Mary's was integrated with the State System. As an integrated school we have a maximum roll of 400 students.
Families from right across the socio-economic spectrum and from a wide cross section of cultures are attracted to the school. St Mary’s School is categorised as a Decile 5 school.
The School’s Special Character is promoted through regular instruction in religious and moral education and is integrated into all aspects of the school’s programmes, environment and culture. Regular participation in Church worship and Liturgies is aimed at a level appropriate to the children.
The school has seventeen classrooms, a hall, heated swimming pool, playing field, adventure playground and astroturf area.