"With Christ as our Centre We Strive for Excellence"
St Mary’s Catholic Primary School, Rotorua, is an integrated Catholic School that caters for Years 1-6 students drawn from Rotorua City and surrounding districts. It is a Decile 5 school with approximately 400 students.
The School is well resourced, with highly qualified teachers, supportive parents and clear expectations and goals for our children. Children attending our school come from a number of ethnic and cultural backgrounds.
St Mary’s School, Rotorua, is a community of learners who are striving to develop confident, connected, life-long learners.
· Are conscious of what the Special Character of our School is and what it means to be a member of a Catholic Community
· Model the values taught by Jesus Christ
· Are encouraged to take responsibility for their learning
· Want to learn
· Learn how to learn
· Have high literacy and numeracy skills
· Are encouraged and supported by staff and peers
· Accept the strengths and weaknesses of themselves and others
· Participate willingly in a wide range of extra curricular activities
· Have access to information technology
· Are provided with opportunities for leadership, team work and the development of Life Skills
· Promote the teachings of the Catholic Church through Religious Education
· Have high expectations of themselves, their colleagues and their students
· Support each other
· Work to address the needs of our pupils
· Develop positive relationships with children, parents/caregivers to enhance each child’s learning
· Participate in ongoing and relevant professional development programmes
· Regularly reflect on their own practice
· Are role models
· Provide quality learning environments
The Board of Trustees
· Provides the school vision and its strategic direction
· Provides quality governance
· Supports the children, principal and teaching staff
· Fosters open communication
· Participates in professional development
· Show support for, and a commitment to, the Special Character of the School
· Actively support their child’s/children’s education
· Share in the responsibility of their child’s learning
· Develop positive relationships with teachers to enhance each child’s learning
· Attend parent meetings and support school events
· Are involved with and support the ongoing development of the school
St Mary’s Catholic School Community
Recognise the School is part of a local, regional and national Catholic Community.
Values and Skills
We want our Children and Teachers to :
Display and Develop –
A Thirst for Learning
And to be –
Risk Takers (in a learning sense)
Aware of their strengths and next learning steps
Critical, Creative and Caring Thinkers
Individual Life Long Learners
St Mary’s Catholic School caters for cultural diversity by –
· Providing a supportive environment where children are encouraged to have pride in themselves and their culture
· Acknowledging and valuing different cultures
· Integrating Te Reo and Tikanga Maori within the classroom programmes
· Providing cultural opportunities for students
· Utilising community resources and resource personnel
· If a request is made for instruction in and through Tikanga Maori and Te Reo Maori by a parent, the Board and Principal of St Mary’s School will assist the parent to locate a suitable local alternative school to meet their needs.
· Currently, St Mary’s School is unable to offer an immersion programme for Maori instruction.